Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Wal Mart rift raft

Oh Manhattan. With it being break season, the students have quietly left the town for their respective homes for their helicopter parents to dot over them and do their laundry, etc. With the extreme population loss over the past week, the rift raft have loudly come from their homes and invaded local establishments. The one I have in mind particularly: Wal-Mart

I'm pretty hit or miss when it comes to Wal-Mart. Either I'm in love with the fact that I can everything from Draino to tampons to granola in one stop and know that I'm paying dirt cheap for it. The added bonus is knowing that someone in China has slaved over packaging these materials and I get to reap the benefits. Kidding.

What I am not kidding over is the amount of curse words I breathed under my breath between 11.46-12.10 today while I ran by there to pick up odds and ends. I seriously swear, the rift raft in this town grows alongside the number of students K-State enrolls. Of course, I went there during lunch when most people are at work, earning professional incomes. These people, god only knows, what these people do for a "living". You could point out those running there during their lunch breaks, based on their attire. And with Hy-Vee in town, the extreme professionals flock there instead of risking their sanity and lowering their IQ by taking on Wal-Mart.

Let me be clear: I am the product of a father who has an associates in construction science from a community college that I would rather have eaten arsenic than attend (it was the same as going to high school, again) and my mother did not complete her four year degree, as she was "this" close to graduating in Physical Therapy school. She realized in the eleventh hour that PT wasn't her gig, so she dropped out from KU PT school and moved back to Wichita to be a secretary. And she's never regretted a day. And you wonder why I push my students to do what THEY want to do with their lives.

Anyways. The point of this was to inform you that my father and mother are not elitist education snobs. They farm. In the dirt.

So take this as a warning if you're deciding to venture to your local low cost box store this week and happen to live in a college town. Becae even though it's isn't Halloween, there are some crazies venturing into the sun.