Wednesday, February 9, 2011

load the wagons

I'm going to pack up my things and gonna head out west

The rest of those lyrics escape me, unless I google them. Which I won't. Point still stands. I am going to move out west. With Aaron, of course. Is it odd that I envision our move like an episode of "Little House on the Prairie", where we load up our wagon with a cowhide tarp and take off for the sunset, as our city slicker friends wave good bye with their overpriced Starbucks coffee mugs and pricey take out?


"LHOTP" is my favorite show of all time. This is the only show I can watch over and over and over and over. Usually, if I see one episode of a show, I won't re-watch it. Ever. I am not joking at all when I say that I desperately wish I could spend one day of Laura Ingalls Wilder. My own mother is much like Caroline Ingalls, patient and soft spoken, while Charles is just as similar to Dad. Daddy is fiercely loyal to the Church (for a moment, we'll pretend that the Ingalls' were Catholic) and family is Dad's guiding rod. Maybe I am being a romantic to this time frame of life. I fully realize that back in 19th century Minnesota, there were no straightening irons or LASIK surgery. I'd be stuck with thick thick THICK glasses and probably would have ended up single forever like Eliza Jane Wilder. Maybe. Moving on. We're moving and we'll have to replace the team of horses with Aaron's Dodge Avenger and my Honda Accord.

Aaron's going to be going back toh is hometown to farm with his brother and his dad will be, eventually, retiring. In true farmer form, who knows when Will will honestly lay down the power/authority solely to Aaron and Mark. However, we'll be out there regardless. It's going to be scary, anxious, exciting, nerve-wracking, challenging, frustrating, and life. The Manhattan ammentieis that I enjoy now, will not be there. I won't be able to run over to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to pick up K-Cups after work. If I want to grab a cocktail after a stressful day at work, I'll be sitting next to the town drunks and by 8:00, everyone will know that "That girl from Kansas who's dating Aaron Leiker" is boozing. If we feel like fish in a bowl in MHK, we're going to feel like a sideshow freak show out there.

But, that will pass and it'll be old news that Aaron Leiker is moving back from the "big" city with some girl he met and was married to within a year. That's the thing about small town gossip, it passes. No one really forgets, though. It's just that bigger news comes out with the passing of time.

I just need to make sure that I hide all my LHOTP costumes and bonnets.