Tuesday, October 5, 2010

there are things that matter and things that don't

"there are things that matter and things that don't".

I have that written on a post it taped to the shelf that holds my computer screen. That's from a Craig Morgan song, that basically tells the story of an older man whose home was destroyed by a tornado and a reporter, of course hot on the scene, throws a microphone into his face. I have this posted on my desk to remind me that there are things in life (work) that really don't matter. At.all. I find that the riffraff students (those who are unmotivated for life, in general) are the ones who bring negative energy into my office and my life. It may be easy for you reading this to assume that artists are going nowhere in life. However, I am not talking in terms of "going somewhere" as in making a shit ton of money. I mean "going somewhere" as in if they need to take a shitty retail job to make money, they will. And they'll be happy to be employed, damn it.

Those are the kids that allow me to fully enjoy my job, because I'm actually doing what my job is with them: guiding.

It's the bullshit kids who constantly miss appointments, constantly are bitching about a professor who's "too hard" on them, blaming about someone else and how it's THEIR fault that they're clinging to a 2.1 GPA. Fuck off. Seriously. Who are you kidding?! You're expecting everyone to believe that it's honestly is someone else's fault that you can't get your shit together? Honestly?!
I respect the student who owns up to their fuck ups and honestly are trying. They're not blaming a professor for not excusing their absence from the final due to being called in to work. Hell, you make the decision to work full time AND go to school full time? Props to you. But damn you if you think that gives you a "free pass". And it seems that there aer more and more of these kids: the riffraff who are going nowhere with their lives and are so incredibly needy and blamy. If my kids were to cut the bullshit, I'd be able to cut the bullshit whining that I do. I promise.

When it comes to actually doing my job, I absolutely love it. I love my kids who are pro active and take my advice and honestly consider it. I could care less if they follow through with it, that's their deal. If I am able to focus on these kids, the ones who pull their own personal weight, I'd be a beautifully mannered young adviser.

I started advising yesterday for spring 2011 courses with my students who are graduating spring 2011. These are the students who I've had since they were baby freshman; they're my first class. They're awesome. I know I'm being extremely partial, because I've had them since K-State birth. Advising them for the final time has been bittersweet, because these guys have seen be go through it all: name change, body change, hair color change, and outlook on life change. It's a beautiful process seeing them through from freshman to graduating seniors. It all comes full circle.Then I feel like an idiot, because I've been in this position and in MHK that long (four years since graduation).

But, as the title says "there are things that matter and things that don't" and all in all, I wouldn't have traded these past eight years in MHK for anything. But I would sell my soul to be on "jersey shore".