Monday, January 24, 2011

who's to say you should take your shoes off

Saturday morning Aaron asked if I wanted to start our wedding registry before our 12:30 lunch reservation @ Longhorns Steakhouse, here in Manhattan. I was astonished that he, the male in the relationship, would offer and seem to want to start this process. Of course, he had wanted to use the clicker. That, he said, was the whole reason why he wanted to start it. Mmmhmm. I have learned several things about Aaron during this experience and one of them is that he is as dedicated and loyal to this wedding planning process as I am. He was the one who suggested that we start making our invitation list a few weeks back. Which was smart, seeing how when we got engaged, our seven month countdown to the big day had already begun. In short, we're pumping behind schedule it seems at times.

I quickly showered and met him @ "Bed, Bath and Beyond" (he had beat me there and had begun scoping out the place). We met with an amazing sales associate who asked us to fill out the general information that is needed to establish the registry. While I was filling out the paperwork, she started going over the china options for us. In that moment, I thanked God for Aaron Leiker. He was paying attention and was actively interested in the options and amazing credit points you can earn w/their registry. I was filling out my name and address for the 3950th time in my life and was zoned out. Aaron was zoned in. It was awe inspiring. Then ironic when he said to me "I don't care what you pick", when in reality he really did care.

I think my initial hang up on registering for gorgeous china was that, when we used it, that meant that it was a snazzy reason. That snazzy reason spells anxiety for me, because the high mark of performance in preparing food that is set when one is serving food on expensive Vera Wang china. However, we narrowed it down to two sets that we both liked that wasn't too frilly or colorful, but classic and timeless. My question that I am sure Aaron is going to be exhausted of by July 30:

"What's the price difference between the two?"

That sealed my decision.

Then, when I thought we could breathe and be finished, Tiffany (amazing, again) pulled out a catalog of flatware. Then stemware. Then "normal" dining ware. My guidelines for the "normal" dining ware was that it wasn't heavy one color, that it was a general neutral. And the chosen winner is a cream colored w/light coca on the rims. The plates are heavy and now I am envisioning plates falling on the floors on toes and the dreaded screaming that occurs after. I guess I should be ecstatic that it's heavy, because that means that it won't break easily if dropped. I apologize to my toes, Aaron's toes, and the future Aaron Leiker family toes. If and when a plate falls on any of my family members' toes (that is so weird saying and it not meaning my sisters or parents), I'll have the old standby that Mom always would say "Were you wearing shoes?!" And if we weren't, she'd have no sympathy for us. At.all. That's why it's weird to me still taking my shoes off when I enter someone's home. We grew up on a farm and there is dirt everywhere. And sand. And mud. We could honestly care less if you didn't take your shoes off; we would find you odd if you did take your shoes off at our house.

Is that odd?

So, if you're reading this and I have been in your house and did not take my shoes off and it offended you, I am sorry.

I get it from my mama.